Copy-editors do a lot more than just correct errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation, style and usage. Copy-editors will read the text several times and in a work of fiction they may check for things like plot holes, consistency in characters (names, descriptions, etc.), viewpoint shifts, tense and sudden changes from first to third person.
For a copy-edit, I will do the following:
- In works of fiction, I will check the narrative for any inconsistencies in the plot, characters or pacing.
- Clarity and readability: I will check that your text is clear, precise and readable and suggest amendments if necessary.
- I will also check for consistency in style and content. If there is a particular house-style that you need to use, I can make sure that your work complies with it.
- Accuracy: I will check that names of people and things are all correct and, if requested by the client, can include fact-checking as well to make sure any facts in the manuscript are accurate.
- I will produce a full report and a style-sheet on your piece of work detailing any suggestions and recommendations that I make.