Proofreading is usually the final check before a document is sent for printing, and after a copy-edit has taken place and amendments made.
When proofreading your document some of the things I will do are:
- Identify spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors.
- Check for consistency in spelling and hyphenation, using a style guide if one is supplied.
- Read for clarity and sense and check for inconsistencies in the text.
- Look for inconsistencies in the use of fonts, headings, paragraphs and layout.
- Check and correct uneven spacing.
- Check cross-references, and check chapter headings with the table of contents.
- Check references in the text against footnotes, endnotes, etc.
- Make sure that illustrations or tables and their captions match with each other and the text.
- Mark any queries I cannot resolve for further consultation.
Never take your eye off the ball!